[arachne] Re: <Alt+E> Problems - Files in body

  • From: Glenn Gilbreath Jr. <wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 2:39:22 -0600

Hiya Gang!
Greg is correct about the length limits...BUT, my
path is nowhere near 1023 characters in MS DOS 7
(that's the DOS with Windows 95 A (OSR1).
There is, however, a couple of workarounds, using
SUBST and APPEND, of which some explanation
is included in the HELP files for DOS in MS versions
6 and later, IIRC.  At command prompt type
help path
then press the enter key for some explanations, then
press CTRL+C for contents and look at the related
commands SUBST and APPEND.
C U L8R!
Wiz<{;-)

ps---did anyone on the Coollists group recieve a
message with a PIF attached?  If you did, DO NOT
OPEN THIS FILE IN A WINDOWS 9X or LATER
operating system!  I recieved one and as per normal
routine I put it in "quarantine", and scanned it with
F-Prot.  It contains a virus.  One of the list members
possibly is infected, but more likely the message
headers are forged.
<{;-)
At 11/28/06 11:28:00 AM, you wrote:
>Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!
>
>On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:57:40 -0500, Eric S. Emerson wrote:
>
>> Hi Greg,
>>              if I create in environ. path1 and path2
>> and path3 with the set command then I can:
>> path=%path1%;%path2%;%path3%
>> and all those paths are now shown in the environ.
>> variable "PATH".
>> and any batch file in the new path is searched for
>> and run from from any drive and/or directory.
>
>Yes, that will work provided the data from path1, path2 etc
>for the PATH command doesn't overflow the command buffer.
>
>With MS-DOS 6.22 the maximum allowable length of a command string
>is 127 characters.
>
>If it is any longer, it is truncated after the 127th character
>before it is executed.
>
>> I am testing with MSDOS version 7
>
>And how long could you make the PATH variable before it went
>wrong?
>
>In MSDOS 7 I found I could enter up to 1023 characters from the
>keyboard, or from a batch file, or from env variables, but at
>character #1024 it would bomb out and give me the "bad command or
>filename" error message.
>                  Arachne at FreeLists
>-- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

Wizard57M
http://www.geocities.com/wizard57m/index.html