[arachne] Re: <Alt+E> Problems - Files in body

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:28:03 +1030

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:57:40 -0500, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>              if I create in environ. path1 and path2
> and path3 with the set command then I can:
> path=%path1%;%path2%;%path3%
> and all those paths are now shown in the environ.
> variable "PATH".
> and any batch file in the new path is searched for
> and run from from any drive and/or directory.

Yes, that will work provided the data from path1, path2 etc
for the PATH command doesn't overflow the command buffer.

With MS-DOS 6.22 the maximum allowable length of a command string
is 127 characters.

If it is any longer, it is truncated after the 127th character
before it is executed.

> I am testing with MSDOS version 7

And how long could you make the PATH variable before it went
wrong?

In MSDOS 7 I found I could enter up to 1023 characters from the
keyboard, or from a batch file, or from env variables, but at
character #1024 it would bomb out and give me the "bad command or
filename" error message.