[arachne] Re: <Alt+E> Problems - Files in body

  • From: robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:36:57 -0600 (CST)

Hey Eric,
 It's been awhile since I used FreeDOS, although I've
been meaning to try the new stable 1.0 version, but
just as m$dos uses c:\dos and DrDOS uses c:\drdos
and then additional programs have to keep adding to the
PATH statement, and directories scattershot all over the
system, FreeDOS touches on the 'nix system of keeping
things much more organized and everything in it's place.
You pretty much never put anything in the root directory.
this is my PATH statement in Slackware.

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

Each bin has different permissions. He could just put 'a.bat'
in d:\fdos\bin or more likely a somewhat similar executable.
Rob

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

Hi Rob,
               I don't know 'nix or Freedos.
I just know that looks nothing like what
I get when I type PATH at the prompt and
press ENTER. That looks to me like the
path to his files in his "bin" directory.
Does Freedos have a different way of
displaying the path ?

Eric

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:02:09 -0600 (CST) robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Eric,
  I would say that is his PATH, if he is using FreeDOS.
FreeDOS has a fair bit of 'nix influence.
Rob

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

Hi Lester,
                  I learned that my path should always
include:
1. The root directory of my boot drive which is
always C: in all my computers.
2. The directory where all my DOS commands/utilities
are stored.
3. The Arachne main directory if I am running Arachne.

So that would be:   path= c:\;c:dos;d:\arachne  in my case.

I may also sometimes add other directories if they
contain programs/files that I want global access to.

I don't know your computer setup so I can't really
comment on your path.......except......... I am surprized
that I don't see the Arachne main directory included.
In fact, what you show below doesn't even look like
your path.  Your path is the line returned when you
type PATH at a DOS prompt and press ENTER.

Eric

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 04:15:15 -0500 "Lester" <fd100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

Eric: If you put CDA.BAT in your PATH, then you can use it from
the

command prompt when you're in DOS. There are many times that I
want
to return to my Arachne main directory and do something before I
start up Arachne.

Might be a good idea, I put it there. Btw, my path is:
d:\fdos\bin

      -----Pine Email on Slackware GNU/Linux-----

     -----Pine Email on Slackware GNU/Linux-----
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --