[arachne] Re: <Alt+E> Problems - Files in body

  • From: Glenn Gilbreath Jr. <wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 2:21:43 -0600

Note:
MS DOS 6.22 "appends" the PATH statement to include
the full length in the "environment variable path" using the
line in a BATCH file such as:
set path=c:\;c:\dos;c:\batch;c:\dosinet;c:\programs
set path=%path%,C:\myapps

The result of issuing "path" at command line then appends
c:\myapps to the list above
Note this is the method I use in AUTOEXEC.BAT for both
MS DOS 6.22 and MS DOS 7
Wiz  <{;-)
At 11/27/06 10:11:00 AM, you wrote:
>Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!
>
>On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 05:56:05 -0500, Eric S. Emerson wrote:
>
>> By using %path1%;%path2%;......   you can
>> make it longer.
>
>That's what I thought, but it doesn't work that way in MS-DOS 6.22.
>
>When I tried it in a batch file, I found that the values of path1
>and path2 were substituted and it wass executed as if it was
>written in full.
>
>Try it yourself with this batch file that doubles the length of
>the path statement:
>
>set old=%path%
>path %path%;%path%
>path %old%
>
>Note that echo is left on so you can see how the commands are
>executed.
>
>If you want to see the truncation, try this batch file:
>
>  set old=%path%
>  path %path%;%path%
>  path
>  pause
>
>then repeat the last three lines at least four times, and finish
>with
>  path %old%
>to restore the original path.

>..  /     \     from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
>..  \_,-*_/     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
>                  Arachne at FreeLists
>-- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

Wizard57M
http://www.geocities.com/wizard57m/index.html