[arachne] Re: <Alt+E> Problems - Files in body

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:42:16 +1030

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:37:50 -0500, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>            I don't know 'nix or Freedos.
> I just know that looks nothing like what
> I get when I type PATH at the prompt and
> press ENTER. That looks to me like the
> path to his files in his "bin" directory.
> Does Freedos have a different way of
> displaying the path ?

There could be a confusion in terminology here.

1. In the line "C:\ARACHNE\RHUBARB.TXT" the part "C:\ARACHNE\" is
   commonly refered to as the path to that file. This is the most
   common meaning of the term "path".

2. There is an environment variable PATH which is a list of
   default paths for DOS to search when looking for an
   executeable that has been specified without a path in a
   command.

3. There is also the path that is usually displayed in the DOS
   prompt, which is the path to the current drive and directory.

I mentioned this in case you and Rob and Lester were talking at
cross-purposes.

.   ,-./\
.  /     \     from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  \_,-*_/     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v