[arachne] Re: <Alt+E> Problems - Files in body

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:43:59 +1030

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:01:41 -0500, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

> Hi Gregy,
>                All you say may be right re: PATH.
> I don't have time to test it any further right now.
> I did try it out before and it seemed to go longer
> than 127 characters in M$6.20.  I didn't try past

Hmmm... "seemed to" is pretty vague. Didn't you bother to count the
characters to be sure?

I tested it both from keyboard input and in a batch file and it chopped
off the cammand line after the 127th character.

Since that command line also included the characters P A T H and space,
that limited the PATH variable to 122 characters.

> about  300 characters in M$7.0. I repeat again,
> the path statement is very tricky in my experience.

I don't finds it tricky at all.

> It is definitely different in M$6.20 and M$7.0.

In my experience the PATH variable is exectly the same in the two DOSes.

The only difference I found is the number of characters you can put in
the command line. In a batch file, MSDOS 7 bombs out when the 1024th
character is entered and returns "bad command or filename".

> In addition it will not accept %xxx% envir. var. from
> the command line in M$6.20. It obviously works
> differently in different DOS versions and if one
> uses it then one must make sure he has it set
> up correctly for his DOS version.

That is true for every version of MSDOS I have used from 3.0 to 6.22.
The format "set <variable1>=%<variable2>% will only work in batch files.

But in MSDOS 7 it does work with keyboard input from the DOS prompt,
that is outside of a batch file.

> In M$7.0 the cmnd. line will only accept about 127
> characters.

Yes, although in a batch file the command line can be made longer (1023
characters).

> But the path statement can be made
> longer (you say 1023 chctrs.) by the methods
> previously shown by several listers.

No, what I said was that the command line in batch file can be made up
to 1023 characters long, and if you enter one more the command is
rejected with a "bad command or filename" mesage.

This means that the PATH variable is limited to 1018 characters by the
allowable length of the command line input in the batch file since the
command has to start with the characters P A T H and space, that is five
characters.

> BTW,  thanks for the PUSHPOP.ZIP .  There seem
> to be several different versions floating around.

Yes, it is a dandy little set.

.   ,-./\
.  /     \     from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  \_,-*_/     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v