[arachne] Re: <Alt+E> Problems - Files in body

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:11:34 +1030

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 05:56:05 -0500, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

> By using %path1%;%path2%;......   you can
> make it longer.

That's what I thought, but it doesn't work that way in MS-DOS 6.22.

When I tried it in a batch file, I found that the values of path1
and path2 were substituted and it wass executed as if it was
written in full.

Try it yourself with this batch file that doubles the length of
the path statement:

set old=%path%
path %path%;%path%
path %old%

Note that echo is left on so you can see how the commands are
executed.

If you want to see the truncation, try this batch file:

  set old=%path%
  path %path%;%path%
  path
  pause

then repeat the last three lines at least four times, and finish
with
  path %old%
to restore the original path.

.   ,-./\
.  /     \     from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  \_,-*_/     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v