[arachne] Re: A190 DOWNLOAD PROBLEM/IDIOSYNCRACY

  • From: "Glenn McCorkle" <glennmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:22:20 -0500

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:38:30 -0500, Brian C. Murphy wrote:

> GLENN:

> NOW that I have successfully set up A190 at the Vancouver Community Net,

> have a few of its annoyances/idiosyncracies to modify if possible.

> The one of greatest concern at the moment is that A190 (as well as some o
> its

> predecessors) downloads ZIP files downloaded from web sites to Cache
> instead

> of directly to the DOWNLOAD directory as it always did with A170R3.

> (Some say ZIPS subsequently find their way to the DOWNLOAD directory from

> cache, but that has not happened for me).

> NOw, I do appreciate the HTML view of the ZIP contents that A190 provides

> before undertaking the download.  However, I would gladly do without that

> minor convenience if I could avoid the major inconvenience of having to g

> through Cache later off line to find the ZIPS, rename them from their
> "123456"

> type name they carry there despite the site's name for them being more

> conventional.

> =========================
> =========================
> ========================
> SUGGESTED SOLUTION BY "CAL" FROM THE ARACHNE LIST:
> Alternately modify line below in mime.cfg which I had sent to this list t
> he
> first time asked.

> application/zip          ZIP>TXT|[300]unzip -l -v $1>$2
> application/zip          ZIP>TXT|[300]unzip -l -v $1>$2
> application/x-zip        ZIP>TXT|[300]unzip -l -v $1>$2
> application/x-zipped     ZIP>TXT|[300]unzip -l -v $1>$2

> Remove the "" -v "" from above lines.  Will not display file list in zip.

> Cal
>              Arachne at FreeLists

> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --
> =========================
> =========================
> =========================

> =

> I Tried Cal's suggestion yesterday and immediately after making the chang
> es

> MIME.CFG he suggested found I could no longer launch Arachne from my ISP,

> VANCOUVER FREE NET.

> This morning, I replaced the altered MIME.CFG with the original MIME.CFG
> and

> found that I could, once more, launch Arachne from the Vancouver Free Net
> ..
> -

Ah ha !!!!!!!!!

Now we can say as a certainty that your text editor _IS_ screwing-up
the CFGs when you edit them.

In addition....
have a look at the text of your original message here in this reply.

The formatting is all screwed-up. Words at the end of some lines
are chopped in the middle with the last letter or two on the next line
all by themselves.

That is being done on your end by whatever program you are using to send
these emails.

> ..
> -

> Is their a safe and reliable way to get A190 to download ZIPS to the
> download

> directory rather than to cache?

> If so, can you tell me how to achieve it?

> If not, is there some way (short of going back to A170R3) to make A190
> conduct

> itself like A170R3 with respect to downloading ZIPS?

> i.e. click on file name;  wait for download count to complete;  get, and
> click

> on, download screen, which will reliably download ZIP to the Arachne
> DOWNLOAD

> directory?

> Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Brian Murphy
> BCMURPHYOMPUSERVE.COM

> (I have not yet had time to get a handle on dealing with email at the

> Vancouver Free Net and/or Arachne.)

FYI,

No files have ever been downloaded directly into the download directory.

All files without exception have always been downloaded directly into
the cache directory.

We then have the option of saving them to some other directory.

By default, when the save-as page appears, the download directory is in
the text input field.

The only thing that is differnt in my more recent releases is that
the contents of ZIP files are first displayed on-screen.

We can then save the ZIP by simply pressing the F2 key at the point
where its contents are shown on-screen.

Archive:  /arachne/cache/64582653.ZIP
 Length   Method    Size  Ratio   Date   Time   CRC-32    Name
      46  Stored       46   0%  03-24-94 00:00  666e8a5b  COMPORTS.COM
    1370  Defl:X      789  42%  03-24-94 00:00  3aa1348b  COMPORTS.TXT
    1416              835  41%                            2 files

Press F2 now to save the ZIP anywhere you'd like, with any name you like.

 Glenn
 http://www.delorie.com/listserv/mime/
 http://www.cisnet.com/glennmcc/
 http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.table.html