[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:39:30 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"The report wrote:

> (b) there is no provision in the proposed ATSC standard for
> auto-selection logic to have the DTV tuner default to the M/H DTV signal
> only when the main DTV signal is not available.236 Therefore, at
least for
> the period of consideration used in this report (2008-2012), laptops
are not
> considered a M/H DTV business opportunity for broadcasters (but do
> constitute an audience-expanding opportunity for the main DTV signal
> which, in turn, could augment broadcaster advertising revenues)."

Doe anybody understand this one?  I don't see it essential to be in the
 standard as, first, there are yet no dual M/H laptop receivers and,
second, a laptop receiver is probably software driven and could easily
add this option if it seemed it would sell.  Finally, even a very stupid
user could probably decide to change to another (M/H) channel if the
full channel could not be received.  I'd personally rather be in control
of the process."

The statement by the authors assumes that programming in the M/H channel is simply a simulcast of programming in the main channel. If this were the case, then this could also provide a low quality 'graceful degradation' for fixed receivers as well.

John