[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:12:51 -0700

Yeah, I just don't see that as being what M/H really becomes.  Entirely
possible, however.  But, the report made the assumption that N/H wouldn't
work in home receivers.

John

From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> "The report wrote:
>
> > (b) there is no provision in the proposed ATSC standard for
> > auto-selection logic to have the DTV tuner default to the M/H DTV signal
> > only when the main DTV signal is not available.236 Therefore, at
> least for
> > the period of consideration used in this report (2008-2012), laptops
> are not
> > considered a M/H DTV business opportunity for broadcasters (but do
> > constitute an audience-expanding opportunity for the main DTV signal
> > which, in turn, could augment broadcaster advertising revenues)."
>

> Doe anybody understand this one?  I don't see it essential to be in the
>  standard as, first, there are yet no dual M/H laptop receivers and,
> second, a laptop receiver is probably software driven and could easily
> add this option if it seemed it would sell.  Finally, even a very stupid
> user could probably decide to change to another (M/H) channel if the
> full channel could not be received.  I'd personally rather be in control
> of the process."

The statement by the authors assumes that programming in the M/H channel is
simply a simulcast of programming in the main channel.  If this were the
case, then this could also provide a low quality 'graceful degradation' for
fixed receivers as well.

John