[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:56:01 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> We were having a discussion about the ATSC standard
> already being out of date, particularly with respect to the
> installed base of ATSC receivers, which will not be able to
> access the mobile services.

Yes, exactly the same situation as DVB-H. Exactly the same as HDTV in European
DTT systems, also. But not as disruptive as DVB-T2, which is not backward
compatible with DVB-T receivers.

This is what happens when standards are updated. You always try to make it so
legacy equipment isn't made totally useless. POTENTIALLY, although I'm pretty
positive this is not the case for any existing products on the market, A/97
could be used to update equipment to receive the new broadcasts.

> THere is little doubt that once the standard for mobile is
> adopted, that we may see new fixed location TVs add
> support for the mobile and infrastructure enhancements.

I don't think this has been the case with DVB-H, but maybe I'm wrong. It would
be good, though, to see more robust modes of ATSC making it to all receivers.
And yes, as you say, that would introduce H.264 into ATSC. Exactly the same as
introduction of HDTV is being used in Europe to introduce H.264 into DVB-T.

> So this is not a zero sum game. One could even suggest
> that this is a backdoor way to enhance the ATSC standard.

Not being involved with the ATSC in any way, I don't perceive this as "back
door" at all. Seems like a straightforward enhancement, done through the front
door. That is, unless there's some sort of anti-change religious dogma going on
at the ATSC, that preaches unchanging standards for fixed receivers.