[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:50:57 -0700

Boy, are you clueless.  You act as if the ATSC exists independent, and aloof
from it's members.  It is a membership-based organization, and members get a
vote.  So, you have it EXACTLY backwards.  The ATSC, by and large, reflects
the views of its constituents.

Of course, getting it exactly or approximately backwards is nothing new for
you.

When you get a chance to read and understand the M/H candidate standard, you
might be able to see some errors in your views.

Do you think that M/H will be sending HDTV video to hand-held devices?  Do
you think that viewers accustomed to HDTV in their home TV environments will
be happy with something that is obviously less than HDTV?  How about less
than SDTV?  How about UDTV?  Isn't that a good niche for handheld devices?

I'd say that it's an absurd waste of bits to try to target handheld devices
with video that they cannot make use of.

Oh, yes, I mentioned it earlier this year, and I can talk about it. At the
NAB show, what everybody was showing for ATSC mobile and handheld was 1/4
VGA video: 240 x 320.  How happy would you be watching that -- with short
form video, mostly -- in your home?  Would you rush out and buy a new tv set
so that you could watch something less than SDTV on a big set.

I guess it's possible that M/H will come out with different video formats
than 240x320, but I don't think there is much of a niche for postage-stamp
quality video on large sets.

I'm sure you feel otherwise, but I'm also sure that you will never pay $ for
a new set just for the privilege.  Perhaps you think that the only reason
your HDTV set cannot present HD radio is due to greedy conspiracies?

John Willkie