[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:18:21 -0700

So, Craig's views on the ATSC circa 1994 inform you as to what's happening
at the ATSC today?

I'd still like to know how A/97 would enable new silicon and new copper
traces in circuit boards.  Is this something Boeing does routinely?

Building such capability in future receivers, of course, doesn't address
Craig's points about current receivers.  And, I'm talking about updating
middleware, not rf cans and processing circuitry.

But, your last 'point' is the funniest: do you truly think that people
involved in ATSC work have no knowledge (particularly on the CE side) of the
details of DVB standards?  Broadcasters don't have much of this knowledge,
nor do they need to.  But, you will probably find out that many of the
people that do receivers and middleware support ATSC and DVB, if not ISDB-T
and Chinese and Brazil systems.  Certainly the encoder and exciter people
do; you can buy a software-defined encoder from Bext, and Harris supports
just about all emission schemes with only minor modifications between DVB,
ATSC, MediaFlo, etc.

So, what constituency do these "ATSC folk" represent if not professional
electronics or consumer electronics?  Do you think that broadcasters have
inordinate pull at the ATSC?

John Willkie