[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:43:55 -0400

At 4:50 PM -0700 7/27/08, John Willkie wrote:
Oh, yes, I mentioned it earlier this year, and I can talk about it. At the
NAB show, what everybody was showing for ATSC mobile and handheld was 1/4
VGA video: 240 x 320.  How happy would you be watching that -- with short
form video, mostly -- in your home?  Would you rush out and buy a new tv set
so that you could watch something less than SDTV on a big set.

Much of what people watch today on their TVs at home is not significantly better than 320 x 240, which by coincidence, is roughly the resolution of the VHS tape machines that have been used to video billions of movies in the home.

320 x 240 is actually quite good, IF it is properly downsampled from high quality source and encoded as a progressive scan stream.

By the way, the iPhone display is 480 x 320 and apple now encodes most TV shows and movies at 640 x 320 progressive scan. This stuff scales up to big screens QUITE NICELY!

The major problem with the 320 x 240 stuff we saw in the M/H demos at NAB is that they were created from interlaced TV shows and were bit starved.

I guess it's possible that M/H will come out with different video formats
than 240x320, but I don't think there is much of a niche for postage-stamp
quality video on large sets.

Tell that to You Tube.