[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:53:48 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> With analog TV standards the installed base of TV receivers
> was the sea anchor that kept things from changing quickly. NTSC
> color was a band-aid to keep B&W receivers working. And stereo
> was added so that it would not break existing TVs (BTW many
> stations never upgraded to stereo for local production).

I think you are lumping together too many ideas, which confuses
everything.

It's true that the original analog receivers were inexorably tied to the
NTSC/PAL/SECAM transmission standard. It's false to conclude they had to
be. Soon, we saw frame doubling receivers and receivers capable of
decoding digital content that was added after the fact, within the
analog transmission standard. So IN FACT, the so-called "decoupling" of
the receiver from the transmission standard occurred even with NTSC,
PAL, and SECAM. There is no huge conceptual transition here, Craig. It's
mostly a matter of perspective.

> When ATSC was created, the mind set was still analog. That is,
> the entire system had to be defined up front and once again
> millions of receivers were deployed that cannot be upgraded.

We will forever disagree on this. The mindset might have been one of
cheap CE products, but hardly one of a static standard. When was SDTV
introduced to ATSC, Craig? When was A/90 introduced? When was E-VSB
introduced? Perhaps, some people just missed the significance of such
developments, or of the fact that the list of these changes can go on ad
infinitum.

> So now, the ATSC standard is the sea anchor. They cannot even
> figure out how to add mobility without changing almost
> everything.

ATSC is a sea anchor only if the guys in charge make it one. There is
nothing in the standard that makes it inherently any more or less an
anchor than in any other digital comm standard. It's all up to the guys
in charge at ATSC.