[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:57:37 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Two points:
>>
>> 1. ATSC documentation always says i30.
>>
>> 2. So, am I to conclude that 50+ years ago, 525/60 meant
>> 60 frames per second?
>
> You might conclude this, but you would be wrong.

Agreed. That was more or less rhetorical. I was merely suggesting that
using 60i instead of 30i has historical precedent. TV always used the
field rate in the past, so why should we suddenly become confused today?
Field rate and frame rate are the same for progressive, but not for
interlaced.

> I believe the TV world is finally ready to admit that
> interlace sucks, but the legacy will be with us for many
> years to come.

Now that CRTs are rapidly leaving the scene, and that progressive HDTV
cameras have become available, I don't see too much reason to continue
with interlaced. But again, it never seemed like an issue to me, because
all DTV standards out there can do just fine without interlacing. All
DTV receivers fielded to date can do just fine without interlaced
formats too. So this is not a big deal, as far as I can tell. At most,
production facilities would have to go through some sort of migration,
but that's it. And production facilities can migrate as they replace
older equipment, switching over at their own pace, no need for any major
industry-wide coordinated effort.