[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:54:35 -0400

Your last statement flies in the face of reality. What HAS been demonstrated, what IS being standardized, is a (relatively) simple way to add 'mobile/handheld bits' in a backwards compatible way. Nothing breaks. Reallocate bits - some for fixed reception, others that can also be received while in motion.

Where did you get the notion that almost everything had to change? (we proposed doing that as you well know, but it did not get off the ground due to political inertia and mass...and probably a bit of shenanigans!)

On 7/24/2008 10:05 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
When ATSC was created, the mind set was still analog. That is, the entire system had to be defined up front and once again millions of receivers were deployed that cannot be upgraded. There was no valid excuse for this approach, as we provided a road-map for the future and showed the ACATS folks how to build an extensible system.

So now, the ATSC standard is the sea anchor. They cannot even figure out how to add mobility without changing almost everything.

--

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><

===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
===================================
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
HTML PAGE: 4436774425@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net

"If you listen to all the people saying
why you shouldn't, or can't, do something,
you'll never do anything."

------ Edward Whitacre Jr. --------
"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."