[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:19:34 -0700

A/97 can be used to update the RF section of receivers?  I'd really like to
see that, since I've never heard of any television receiver that used SDR
(software defined radio) techniques.  Aren't the SDR receiver
implementations still more expensive than entire tv sets?  I certainly know
that they are much more expensive than traditional tv rf sections.

So, show us your work that 1) establishes that A/97 will permit updating of
receivers offered at common price points and 2) that you know exactly what
the modulation/coding that will be used in M/H.

Here's a reasonable guess: even Samsung (co-owner of the A-VSB technique)
won't offer M/H reception in television sets being made today or even later
this year.

Funnily enough, I'm not even sure at this point that A-VSB uses a different
modulation technique than 8-VSB.  That's why I call it modulation/coding.  I
do know that the coding is different than 8-VSB, and this knowledge isn't
bound by an NDA.

By the way, "backwards compatibility" in improvements is a tenet of the
ATSC.  Much effort is taken to insure that improvements do not break
existing implementations.

By the way, a review of public ATSC documents will provide those interested
with proof that work has already been done to introduce h.264/avc and VC-1
into ATSC transport streams, and that work was made public years ago.  I'm
not in a position to say anything about the status of the work, if only in
an abundance of caution.

It's better to ask questions than to make statements in areas where you are
totally uninvolved.  There is much change in the various ATSC work plans,
and this isn't limited to mobile and handheld.

John Willkie