[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:33:31 -0400

At 12:54 PM -0400 7/24/08, Mark A. Aitken wrote:
Your last statement flies in the face of reality. What HAS been demonstrated, what IS being standardized, is a (relatively) simple way to add 'mobile/handheld bits' in a backwards compatible way. Nothing breaks. Reallocate bits - some for fixed reception, others that can also be received while in motion.

Where did you get the notion that almost everything had to change? (we proposed doing that as you well know, but it did not get off the ground due to political inertia and mass...and probably a bit of shenanigans!)

SORRY. I know that the standard will break nothing. I should have been more clear.

We were having a discussion about the ATSC standard already being out of date, particularly with respect to the installed base of ATSC receivers, which will not be able to access the mobile services. These new services will likely use h.264 encoding and there will be new "support infrastructure" for the mobile bits that legacy receivers will not understand. At NAB Harris was demonstrating a newer and more capable program guide, than the one that exists in the current ATSC standard.

So while the new mobile service does not break anything per se', it requires almost everything else to be updated with technologies that legacy receivers do not support. Furthermore, some of these new capabilities would ALSO be useful for legacy broadcasts - like h.264 HD encoding.

THere is little doubt that once the standard for mobile is adopted, that we may see new fixed location TVs add support for the mobile and infrastructure enhancements. For example, we could see new TVs with h.264 and integrated PVRs, which could subscribe to a movie download service using the more efficient 8-VSB modulation. And new receivers 'may" be able to take advantage of the new mobile bits to improve their ability to tune to any DTV channel.

So this is not a zero sum game. One could even suggest that this is a backdoor way to enhance the ATSC standard. It will be interesting to see what transpires.