[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:41:00 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:

>> That is, unless there's some sort of anti-change religious
>> dogma going on at the ATSC, that preaches unchanging
>> standards for fixed receivers.
>
> Your getting warm.....

I figured that was the case, from many comments Craig and others with past
involvement in the ATSC have made. However, this (presumed) personality problem
within the ATSC has nothing to do with the standard itself. There's no reason
to think that ATSC receivers can't be updated every bit as much, or as easily,
as DVB receivers can. Or that these updates can't potentially be done
automatically, in products from CE companies that decide to build in the
capability. It's all *well* within the state of the art, and ATSC documents
already show the way. Matter of fact, A/53 (now cum E-VSB), A/90, A/97, A/101,
A/110, to name a few, show clearly that at least SOME within the ATSC are fully
aware of how digital comm standards are kept alive. They must be sneaking these
gems in late at night, without being noticed.

Craig and others seem to think that the ATSC standard is somehow inherently
different, in some fundamental way, from all the other digital comm standards
out there. I've been trying to figure out why for years. All I can conclude is,
lack of exposure to the others.