[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:04:58 -0700

Well, the You Tube case is informative, if only in a different context.
Have you been reading about the difficulty that Google has encountered --
aside from being liable for billions due to lawsuits for infringement -- in
receiving even just a small part of their expenses for You Tube operations
in revenue from operations?  Broadcasters are doing things to keep up their
percentage of profit, but You Tube can't seem to get a grip on their
percentage of loss.  There is even talk of Google spinning off You Tube.

Perhaps what you watch in your home is commonly not better than 240x320, but
I've been spoiled -- I tend to reject 480 x 640, even in digital.  And, I
watch on smallish PC screen, not a room-filling tv set.

Of course, what and how apple encodes is irrelevant, since what we are
talking about is content encoded by non-Apple entities that provide just
about all the video watched in the U.S., and your protests notwithstanding,
it's virtually all interlaced.

No, the major problem with the M/H demos at NAB was that all the content was
badly out of lipsync, seemingly by multiple seconds, not fractions of
seconds.

I didn't see any signs of bit starvation, but I don't think that the M/H
specification when released to the world, will permit unlimited bits per
program stream.  Remember, these things will have to fit into transport
streams with at least one SDTV stream (at least, when included in OTA
transport streams from 'legacy' broadcasters on allocated channels in the
U.S.)

I did see signs of receivers being overwhelmed by the bit rate of the
program streams, even rebuffering.  Of course, that never happens when
DVB-T2 or DVB-H is viewed on prototype receivers in well-shielded exhibit
halls with much internal rf.

John Willkie