[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:33:02 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

>> But that $2B figure is based only on cell phone and MP3
>> player users,
>
> You mean like this:

http://ipodnewsblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/lg-t80-mp3-player-also-does-dvb
-t.html

> DVB-H is only necessary for battery life improvements. One can
> use DVB-H time slicing without using reduced resolution MPEG-4
> bitstreams aimed exclusively at handheld devices, and have no
> effect on legacy DVB-T receivers.

As you know, I'm fully in favor of using the main signal also for
portable devices. However, what makes you think this can't be done with
ATSC, as opposed to it not being done?

Over here, we are mired in a pit of IP-related muck that keeps
everything moving as slow as possible.

I doubt that normal DVB-T service, or normal ATSC service, to MP3-type
players will meet the expectations of most MP3 users. Especially in
DVB-T countries that limit power output to the extent done in France and
Italy, for example, where outdoor yagis are usually de rigeur. But you
may be interested in having a look-see here:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/16/best-buys-insignia-launches-first-us-
portable-atsc-lcd/

It's doable. That piece is already more than a year old. Where are the
McDonald/Limberg/Patel receivers, and why is everyone stalling?