[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:43:19 -0400

Mark Aitken wrote:

> So what if there were money to be made EXCLUDING new business?
> (not my words)
>
> http://www.nabfastroad.org/jan14rptfinaldouble.pdf
>
> $2.0B annual total ($1.1 annual local market station take) based
> just on additional ad revenues. (not my numbers)

Always made sense to me. Note that at $20 per month subscription fee, it
looks like TV on cell networks appears not to be self-sustaining. They
say if price goes down to $5 to $10, they may achieve 20 percent
penetration.

I had to chuckle about the vehicular business model. "What's in it for
us?" is what the auto manufacturers want to know. If there's a
subscription fee involved, they expect a kickback, and likelihood of
adoption would be higher.

"The absolutely critical issue is: 'What is in this for the
manufacturer?' If the answer is either unclear or not much, then
incorporation of the new product is a dead issue. In a situation where
there is a subscription service linked to the new vehicle enhancement
(e.g., subscription TV), then the manufacturer would most likely expect
to share in the revenues, including and especially renewals."

It sheds more light on the HD Radio and satellite radio situation with
GM. Although, interestingly enough, they say Ford has interest in
Sirius, and yet Ford is one of the few auto manufacturers that does
offer HD Radio, even retrofit to older vehicles. Hmmm. There may need to
be more in depth analysis of the auto market for FOTA reception of
entertainment content.

They devalue the laptop PC market, saying that regular 8T-VSB would be
used by these instead of M/H. But they also suggest that M/H content may
NOT be a simulcast with other streams to fixed receivers. And that this
issue hasn't been fleshed out yet.

Well, I'd say, likely different content for the M/H channel at least
some of the time? And therefore it would make sense to allow at least
laptops to receive both, selectable by the user, rather than forced by
some auto-select algorithm. This would increase the priority of laptops
for M/H from their current lowest position in the study.

As expected, they conclude that for the FOTA model, a single standard
would offer the greatest rewards. Makes sense to me.