Re: [ARMini-support] Backup my ARMX6 to a NAS (Synology)

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 12:48:19 +0000 (GMT)

In article <552705f204bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Brian
<bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <5526f60b0bjcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Lesurf
<jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Afraid I can't help with the specific problem. However I just wanted
to comment: I initially used Sunfish. But latterly I've taken to using
FTPc to transfer files between my ARMX6 and NAS.

That's interesting, Jim.

Would you say more please.

Not clear how one would set that up.

To set it up I tend to do as follows.

Run FTPc. Open its iconbar menu. Move the mouse pointer though "User
menu" and select "Edit...".

That should open up the UserMenu file in the editor you're using to general
plain text editing. Add a line with something like

name="NAS" value="ftp://bumble:bee@192.168.0.190"; line="on"

where bumble and bee should be replaced by the username and password you
want to use for accessing the NAS. For 'superuser' use the name and
passsword might both be something like admin by default. Depends on how the
NAS is set up. For other accounts / users choose as relevant.

Save the file. Quit FTPc and start it again.

The above will now give an entry "NAS" on the FTPc user menu. Click and go.

(The line="on" bit gives a pretty dividing line below the entry. Omit that
if you don't want want it.)

There are various other user settings you could experiment with. But I find
that works OK here. Seems quick and easy. I just now have "NAS" listed
along with my various externals websites, etc. Click on the one I want when
needed.

FWIW with Linux I simply use ftp://n.n.n.n from the main filer (xfce
desktop).

I guess I'm more confident using FTPc as I've used it for years to access
remote machines. Whereas I only used Sunfish for a while.

Jim

--
Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm