Re: [ARMini-support] Backup my ARMX6 to a NAS (Synology)

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 13:17:21 GMT

If I try instead the server name of Syn_DiskStation, I get this error:

Unable to resolve hostname 'Syn_DiskStation'

The server file system is configured to: ext4 (probably needed for the Mac).

Any ideas on where I go from here?

I'm afraid we don't do the Synology units - we've opted for the rival QNAP
units - but to be functionality is more or less identical between the two.

With current ARMX6 ROM, the supplied OmniClient works beautifully with our
QNAP in the office here (no need for LM98). Just enter the device name,
share name, and click "Login". No need for user/password unless you've
configured that to be needed.

I've always found NFS/sunfish to be a bit fiddly to get working (I think
possibly I have a hang-up due to bad experiences with Acorn's old NFS
client). As such, I'd recommend OmniClient (uses OS-built-in LanManFS)
over NFS/sunfish to our customers.

Kind wishes,

Andrew

PS, if anyone is interested, we have a two-drive QNAP network storage that
we bought in to sell at the London show, but didn't get any NAS-related
questions this time round. It has two 1Tb drives, and is ARM-powered.
Price would be 225ukp delivered. It's brand new, and formatted/configured
and RAID-synced (a process which normally takes quite a few hours).

The QNAP software is very impressive, and includes features like DLNA
media streaming to TV/hifi (for music or photos on the big-screen),
download client for background downloads, virus scanning, VPN facilities
and lots more. It's a nice piece of kit.

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS