Re: [ARMini-support] Backup my ARMX6 to a NAS (Synology)

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 21:18:45 +0000

On 24 Nov 2015, at 11:45 a.m., A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bingo!

I took a suggestion from Jim to reboot FTPC and did this instead to
Sunfish and, remarkably, it started to work and I could log on to the
Synology NAS.

I have been able to copy a RISC application to this NAS and back again
without losing the RISC OS file types.

Glad you're sorted, but in all honesty I'd still recommend you go with
LanManFS (!Omni in your Networking folder/Apps) because it is part of the
OS ROM. This means it will be developed/maintained as part of the ongoing
OS development. SunFish, conversely, is pretty stagnant at this point.
It is useful as an NFS client, but NFS is a fairly legacy protocol, and
most of your other computers (probably including your Mac) will be talking
to the NAS via LanMan protocol (aka SMB).

It is likely the default protocol of your NAS, and built in to RISC OS as
well as Windows/Mac/Linux.

Thanks for both your posts on this area.

And your proposal is becoming very persuasive, so I'll go for it tomorrow.

I wonder if, in view of your thoughts on Sunfish, you might exclude it from the
distribution that came with ARMX6; it was the first thing I saw so that is what
I tried first.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe
tim@xxxxxxxxx