Re: [ARMini-support] Backup my ARMX6 to a NAS (Synology)

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 21:59:08 GMT

Thanks for both your posts on this area.

And your proposal is becoming very persuasive, so I'll go for it tomorrow.

I wonder if, in view of your thoughts on Sunfish, you might exclude it
from the distribution that came with ARMX6; it was the first thing I saw
so that is what I tried first.

Well, I think that would be doing NFS a disservice - as Steve says, it has
a role to play. My objective in the disc image was to give clients for as
many protocols as sensibly/usefully possible. There's FTP, LanMan, NFS
etc. Horses for courses.

Again, as Steve says, lots of folks do use SunFish, so that's cool. I'd
rather there be things for people to use than not, and NFS is still widely
used in the Linux world. Conversely, in this case, I'd personally use
Omni/LanMan over NFS, but as I said earlier, this is probably due to bad
experience with NFS years ago.

Also, until quite recently (this summer), Omni/LanManFS was quite lacking.
Indeed, I routinely sold customers LanMan98 due to deficiencies in
Omni/LanManFS. However, the improvements made this year have transformed
its usefulness, and I'm now something of a convert.

Of course, each person's mileage will vary, and I guess that's the
tapestry of life.

Kind wishes,

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS