[citw150] Re: CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: Susan Bellah <bellahs1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 01:29:15 -0700 (PDT)

Josh,

I agree that firewalls are critical to keeping a
computer or network secure.  I used to work at the
Lottery and of course they were a prime target for
hackers.  I very often heard the IT people talk about
firewalls and security.  I had a very basic
understanding of what a firewall was.  This site was
very good at explaining it in understandable terms.

--- Josh Holcomb <holcomj8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The societal issue that I chose was about internet
> security. I was interested in how firewalls worked.
> Basically, a firewall acts as a barrier to protect a
> company or home network. If a thousand people in a
> company are all hooked together on networks and one
> person makes a mistake, there is an opportunity for
> a hacker to capitalize on this mistake. A firewall
> serves to make it so that only the one person in
> charge can perform an operation that will jeopardize
> the network?s security. Also, the firewall
> automatically checks packets of information and
> flags certain things with its filter and prevents
> them from entering. Basically I have realized that
> it is a must to have a firewall for your home
> computer as well as company network.
>
>  http://computer.howstuffworks.com/firewall1.htm .
>

> Josh Holcomb
>

> I have gathered a posie of other men?s flowers, and
> nothing but the thread that binds them is mine own.
>
> Josh Holcomb
> Holcomj8@xxxxxxxxx
>
> ---------------------------------
> Yahoo! for Good
>  Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina
> relief effort.

Susan Bellah
bellahs1@xxxxxxxxx
517-294-7812
517-483-1532

You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.
Yiddish proverb

http://mail.yahoo.com