[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: Nate Kunik <medickunik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "citw150 freelist.org" <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 01:46:45 -0700 (PDT)

I choose the Nationalism and Isolationism social issue, this has concerned me
for years but, it shows why our country is so successful, our freedom.  Many if
not all countries have some sort of regulations on what the Internet can be
used for and what may be sent over it but, some countries like China and Cuba
restrict it in a perverse way, to crush freedom of speech, the search of truth,
and opportunity for change.  China basically allows you now (since 1995) to use
the Internet for commercial use, to make money but not to speak out in anyway
against their oppressive regime.  Although the communist Chinese government
tries very hard to keep anti communist web pages, groups, and listserves down
they have already opened Pandora?s box.  Since 1995 there has was a major
increase in anti communist web pages that come out of china and it is almost
impossible to sensor all e-mails against the government from coming in and out
of that nation.  For these attempts at freedom of speech
  their
 has been a back lash from the Chinese government, in 2001 a whole set of new
law?s that would make almost all free speech a crime where enacted and groups
up people charged with internet crimes.  This is a concerning development in
the Internet linked world, oppressing free speech is the oppression of truth.

 http://www.hrw.org/backgrounder/asia/china-bck-0701.htm