[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: "Eunice Link" <elinkster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:34:43 -0500

The societial issue that our family has been dealing with is my daughter and
and constantly getting into trouble online.  Since she was just barely a
teen, my daughter with very little internet savy has been able to get into
conversations with 'boys' in a matter of minutes.  She doesn't understand
that these boys could be 40 or 60.  Nor does she even care.

We have taken away her internet over the years, and then limited it to the
computer in the dinning room.  Just recently I found that even though the
only site she goes to at home is checking her email, she still is writing
strangers.  She goes to several websites, some even at school, and collects
addresses and writes them when she gets at home.  Dispite our being very
proactive over the years, she had gotten into a whole othere world.  they
were all sexual in nature and pretty discusting.

Here we followed guidelines for child safety, and she still managed to get
into trouble.  Needless to say - she is completely off the internet at home
and school.  The part that surprised me was there were sites that told you
how to prevent this, but none told us what to do once we found this out.  We
found that in our case with our daughter that her problem involved more than
just nasty emails.  We did have to go a lot further than just eliminating
her email and internet access.

A good website that was set up for State of Michigan employees, but anyone
can use it is
http://www.michigan.gov/cybersecurity

--
Eunice M. Link
elinkster@xxxxxxxxx

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."  - John
Lennon