[citw150] Re: CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: Scott Sullivan <scottgregorysullivan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:45:58 -0800 (PST)

I can definitely agree that in general people have let there guard down online.
People like to assume the Internet is anonymous, but it really isn't. For
instance just visit this site for an example:

 http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

 As that site illustrates, all someone has to know is your IP address to figure
out the general area of where you live. Of course there is a few ways to get
around this like IP spoofing, but the average user will not know of these
tactics. Before entering any personal data online, make sure that the site is
secured with SSL (and that the site is legitimate). You can easily check to see
if a site is SSL secured by looking for â??httpsâ?? (note the â??sâ??) in the
URL. I would also advice against giving personal information out to people
online unless absolutely necessary.

Bad Kitty <kat_badkitty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: One of the societal issues I found
interesting is Stalking.  I had never really thought of this as an issue before
because the internet allows people to be impersonal.  Unfortunately, it doesn't
matter.  If someone wants to know more about you they can find it, and can
track where you are on the web, and sometimes (even scarier thought) stalk you
in real life after finding you online.

  I think people have really let their guard down online because sites say they
are secure or people think whoever they are talking to could never find out who
they really are.  This is usually how people get stalked online.  They start to
think they are safe from harm, when this is never the case with the internet,
or at least is not yet.  You have to constantly be aware of your activities on
the internet and what information may be passed to others.

  WiredPatrol has listed many questions   and  answers concerning
"cyberstalking" here:
http://www.wiredsafety.org/cyberstalking_harassment/cyberstalking_qanda.html

~Katrina

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough
people ot make it worth the effort."  -- Herm Albright

kat_badkitty@xxxxxxxxx

"The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next." --Henry Ward
Beecher
http://mail.yahoo.com