[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: James Robin <james.robin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Listserv <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 16:32:08 -0800 (PST)

Reflect on the impact of the evil side of technology that is being used to
spread electronic hate on the Internet. This is one of the goals for chapter
25. I would like to talk about how the internet can be used to spread and
combat hatred.

  Hatred of another that is different from you is based on ignorance. Many hate
groups are using the internet to spread their seed of hate. They try to recruit
people that are very impressionable and feel the need to belong to someting.

  One of these groups is the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) of Westboro, Kansas.
They are opposed to homosexuals and this is clear from their site address
(www.godhatesfags.com). Also, they believe the military is full of homosexuals.
The WBC protests military funerals and they use the internet to gather
supporters for this purpose.

  After having serving my country for almost 15 years, I have a deep respect
for anyone who has volunteered to serve their country. If you go to the WBC
website you will see right away that this is a hate group trying to look like a
church. The organization dedicated to opposing the WBC is the Patriot Guard
Riders (http://www.patriotguard.org/Home/tabid/53/Default.aspx.) I'm a member
of the Patriot Guard Riders and the American Legion Riders.

James Robin
  james.robin@xxxxxxxxx
          Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.
   Discourses. Chap. xii.