[citw150] Re: CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: "Adam Dobbrastine" <dobber110@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:22:51 -0500

I agree with you completely, i am in the millitary and have been deployed so i am pretty one sided but i think that a little of our privacy to ensure a safer U.S. is very little to ask for.  I also have nothing to hide and would have no problem with the gov. monitoring all of my actions online or otherwise.  If it was an easier way to prevent evil from happening state side than so be it.  Good topic man, im with ya!

SPC Adam R. Dobbrastine

From: Dave Tabor <daveyt8585@xxxxxxxxx>
To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:29:54 -0800 (PST)

Question 5: I chose the societal issue of Carnivore. Carnivore is a program that enables the Government to monitor e-mail traffic and access other kinds of Internet transmissions including chat rooms, instant messaging, and file transfers. Carnivore has been a major concern among privacy advocates, the 9/11 attacks on America led to the passage of the Patriot Act. I believe strongly in the Patriot Act and in Carnivore. I have nothing to hide as a citizen of the United States. Grant it, I enjoy my right to privacy, but everything changed after 9/11. We are at war with terrorism, whether we like it or not. People tend to forget that we are not fighting a single country, there is no clear cut line between our enemies and our allies. Not only is terrorism in the Middle East, but it has been brought here, to America, at home. These terrorist cells work secretly, there is no way to tell them apart from regular citizens. The Patriot Act is necessary for our security. The only w ay to catch these evil people, is to play the same secret game that they do. We have to use intelligence to catch these Islamic extremists, and the only way to do that is to impede on our privacy a little. I, as an American citizen, am willing to give up a little of my privacy in order to make this great country we live in, a safer place. Do not forget how you felt on that fateful day, I think we need to support our Government and the measures they take to ensure that this does not happen again. We must fight back! And one way we are doing this is with Carnivore, and with the Patriot Act.

Sincerely,
David Tabor
daveyt8585@xxxxxxxxx

'Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.' --Vernon Law

Yahoo! Mail