[citw150] Re: CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: Jet <justinabram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:36:19 -0500

I am in support of file sharing, but I am also in support of copyright
protection.  I am a musician, and encourage whomever to pass around
stuff I make.  My argument against it is only one of principal.  If an
author writes a book, and someone scans it and puts it online, that's
obvious copyright protection, and something most people would be
against.  It's the same for music.  Sure, most people just want the
new Whomeverpopstar single without the hassle of buying the whole
album.  But the fact is, hundreds of real people put real work (often
more than the artist) into that album.  Be it graphic design, studio
production/engineering (you know, the real talent on the albums)
manufacturing, distribution, studio musicians, and the folks who
actually write the songs.  All of those people deserve to be paid.  It
seems a lot of pop music, the artist is a voice and a face for a
brand.  they can sing, but they arent the real creative force.  Which
makes it that much harder for me to feel sorry for them.
Principally speaking, though.  The record company owns the copyright,
and that should be revered and respected the same as any text media or
physical product is.

All of that aside, if you really want to support an artist, the
absolute best way is to catch live shows.  Hands down.
-Justin Abram

--
http://www.theplayback.net  The Playback - indie rock for people bored
with indie rock.