[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: "Adam Dobbrastine" <dobber110@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:14:12 -0500

Childrens Internet Protection

For my topic i chose to write on the importance of providing special protection online for children.  On April 21, 2000 the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) went into effect to help protect children from what they saw online and from what information could be gathered from them.  I think this is an important piece of legislation because it forces people to comply with what is right.  It is unethical for people to target children for their own benifits but it still happens, this is a good way to help prevent it.  Sites that collect information from children under the age of 13 had to post their privacy policy, obtain parental consent, and get new consent when the site changes the kind of information it collects, allow parents to review personal information collected from the children and the list keeps going. Basically this gives the parents full access to all the information the children gives out as well as the right to revoke their access at any time for any reason.  I think think this is a very important topic, to read more about it check out this site : http://www.epic.org/privacy/kids/

-Adam Dobbrastine