[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: Josh Holcomb <holcomj8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 22:34:34 -0700 (PDT)

The societal issue that I chose was about internet security. I was interested
in how firewalls worked. Basically, a firewall acts as a barrier to protect a
company or home network. If a thousand people in a company are all hooked
together on networks and one person makes a mistake, there is an opportunity
for a hacker to capitalize on this mistake. A firewall serves to make it so
that only the one person in charge can perform an operation that will
jeopardize the network?s security. Also, the firewall automatically checks
packets of information and flags certain things with its filter and prevents
them from entering. Basically I have realized that it is a must to have a
firewall for your home computer as well as company network.

 http://computer.howstuffworks.com/firewall1.htm .

Josh Holcomb

I have gathered a posie of other men?s flowers, and nothing but the thread that
binds them is mine own.

Josh Holcomb
Holcomj8@xxxxxxxxx

Yahoo! for Good