Re: [ARMini-support] CDVDBurn

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:04:12 +0100

On 29 Sep, Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <5392ba4045jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Lesurf
>    <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > 0:1.0  Read-only         Unknown     Optiarc  DVD RW AD-7740H  1.00

> *devices Device Type              Capacity    Vendor   Product
> Revision 0:0.0  Read-only         Unknown     PIONEER  DVD-RW DVRTD11RS
> 1.01 0:1.0  Direct-access     Unknown     Multiple Card  Reader     1.00

> As you can see, my Pioneer drive is also typed as Read-only, but writing
> is very well possible. So, that cannot be the problem.

Ok. Looks like I can eliminate that.

> Have you tried to alter the driver? There's a 'howto' document by
> Steffen Huber, which explains the configurable settings. I've tried a
> few (actually hardly knowing what I do, in spite of that document), but
> without any noticeable result - CD's can still be written, DVD's not.

Are you using the default (scsi) driver? My first guess has been to change
block sizes. But the logfile complains about the scsi 'ID' being the
problem which looks to me like the data being sent to the 'wrong address'
and ending up in null:...

[Added later: I've now tried writing a data CD. This works! So confirms
that this can't be a 'read only' problem. I'll see if I can write a
DVD (+ or -) later this afternoon and see what happens.

I've looked at changing the driver settings. The problem is as yourself. I
can't really decide what needs changing, or to what! If a number of
settings need specific changes it becomes a fairly difficult 'hunt the
thimble'. :-/

I'll do some guessing. But the process is a bit depressing so I tend to
switch back to some other project where I can make progress in a more
rational manner!

FWIW I'm currently writing a 'PID sniffer' program to let me examine the
details of recorded 'transport streams' for HDTV. Made some progress. Hard
as the details of the way the metadata is organised is complex and lots of
"when X and Z do C" requirements. Made even harder because the textbook I
started using is wrong about the details. In this case wiki turned out to
give the correct details.]

Cheers,

Jim