Re: [ARMini-support] CDVDBurn

  • From: Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 22:16:40 +0100

In article <5392e10202jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 29 Sep, jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Some progress.

> > I can write an audio CD. But I have to choose 'track at once'.

> Now also managed to write a data CD OK.

> However an attempt to write a DVD+R took over an hour and a half, and
> then failed to finalise. So DVD seems off the menu at present. :-/

> I experimented with different rates, but that caused other problems. So
> I'll abandon this for now in the hope Steffan can shed some light given
> the details I've emailed to him. Not much point taking hours to waste
> more discs.

> Jim

The problem with writing the DVD may be down to the type of blank DVD.

What "speed" writable DVD are you using? I think that your Optiarc
AD-7740H is an older "up to 8x" write drive which will only work with the
older 8x and slower rated blank DVDs which had a different "coating" (is
that the correct word?). I've found that my LG drives won't work with
modern 16x azo+ coated blank DVDs. (There is a warning on the box of the
memorex 16x blank DVDs that they won't work unless the DVD drive
manufacturer has produced new firmware). It looks from the website that
there is no later version of the firmware for the AD-7740H as with my LG
drives. Unfortunately the older slower non AZO+ coated blank DVDs are no
longer available but, luckily for me, I bought over a hundred of the older
type of up to 8x blank DVDs very cheaply when Woolworths closed. To see if
this does apply, try connecting the drive to a PC (windows or LINUX) and
see if it will work with the blank DVDs you have.

Alan

--
alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx