Re: [ARMini-support] CDVDBurn

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 12:00:20 +0100

In article <53964fa63fjcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anyone else had this problem?

Cannot yet speak for the PandaBoard (one is on order at the moment),
but I have had problems copying large files (10 MB - 1.8GB) on both
BB and RPi, where the process freezes part way through and a hard
reset is required. This has happened not only with SD type cards, but
also with 'proper' SSDs. The only common factor is that it is over
USBSCSI (all the SSDs are connected to externally powered hubs).
Whether the problem is hardware (eg power) or software I have no
idea. It is often the case that after a reboot and deletion of the
partially copied file the copy then completes correctly when
attempted again. The problems seem to have some sort of relationship
to size of file and number of files in that the larger the file the
chance of failure is increased, but also the number of files of
smaller size is important, eg 100 ampeg or jpeg files of say 5MB each
might occasionally fail part way through, whereas copying a few files
at a time is OK.

One thing I have noticed - I have three fairly old Seagate 300GB USB
drives which are (a) 3.5" conventional hard drives and (b) completely
self powered. I do not think I have ever had a problem with those on
any of Iyonix, BB, RaspberryPi.

The other point is that drives which can be iffy occasionally on BB
or RPi, seem fine when used on Iyonix or my wife's MacBook to do
essentially the same job.

--
        Chris Johnson