Re: [ARMini-support] CDVDBurn

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:22:39 +0100

On 29 Sep, Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <5392e10202jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Lesurf

> > However an attempt to write a DVD+R took over an hour and a half, and
> > then failed to finalise. So DVD seems off the menu at present. :-/

> The problem with writing the DVD may be down to the type of blank DVD.

> What "speed" writable DVD are you using? I think that your Optiarc
> AD-7740H is an older "up to 8x" write drive which will only work with
> the older 8x and slower rated blank DVDs which had a different "coating"
> (is that the correct word?).

I can't say exactly the details of the disc. The discs are 'printable'
(white coating), either Verbatim or TDK. They are at least a year old,
probably 2-3 years old.

However the writer was clearly able to write the 1.2GB of data. I can see
the 'written' portion of the disc when I examine the surface.

The speed was really a matter of not knowing the correct settings since
CDVDBurn has all kinds of 'mode' and chunk size settings I'd need to
experiment with.

However the block to progress was the failure to finalise. As with attempts
to do 'disc at once' audio this doesn't even cause the drive LED to flicker
or spin up the disc.

> To see if this does apply, try connecting the drive to a PC (windows or
> LINUX) and see if it will work with the blank DVDs you have.

Erm. All of the Linux boxes I have are also well over a year old. They are
quite happy with the DVDs and I've not updated the drive firmware in them.
My laptop is something like 5 years old and writes the discs OK.

Jim