[amc] A note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:07:00 -0600

They answered the pleas of the oppressed-those who suffered abuse as well as
those who spent themselves to protect the mistreated.  They span the pages
of the old and new testaments, and perhaps the histories of all continents
and cultures as well.  They are the prophets. a group of wild-eyed fanatics
who spoke a word from the Lord.  They addressed specific contexts; they
delivered a consistent pronouncement.  Describing God's intention that
relationships be regulated by justice, mercy, and respect, they continued to
declare the consequences for those who deviate from this prescription.  A
day is coming when God will destroy this 'evil.'  It will be both a cause
for hope and a circumstance to fear.  God's fury will break forth without
restraint, and all evil will be eliminated.  God's promise of establishing
justice and ensuring peace will not be foiled.  All evil will be destroyed.

There are those in the present age who seem eager to observe this
engagement.  They seem to fantasize about being spectators of this
devastation, even serving among those who will manage the roundup and corral
of deviants so that none of the guilty will escape their due punishment.
When they speak of this event, there is a radiant gleam in their eyes, a
vindictive tone in their voices.

 Are any of us free of this 'evil' which complicates community and makes the
way more difficult for others?  By our associations do we not participate
in, even advance systems and corporations which violate the ordained
principles of justice, mercy, and respect?  These thoughts will compose the
sermon for this next Sunday, "God's resolution of our dilemma."