[amc] A note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:54:49 -0500

A service project is available for us that I desire you to consider.

This project will involve members of our community who are away attending
school.  As an encouragement and support for them, we can periodically send
'care packages' containing safe, consumable items.  If a group, family, or
individual would like to participate in this project, please contact me and
indicate the month you would like to provide this ministry:  Sep 04, Oct 04,
Nov 04, Feb 05, Mar 05, Apr 05.  If a member of your family is away
attending school and you would like for them to benefit from this project,
please inform me of their mailing address and any particular items you
believe would be especially helpful.  I will provide this information to
those who will compose the packages.  If any of you have suggestions about
promoting this ministry to our distant students, I invite your comments.

This Sunday, we will approach the topic of 'fear' and consider how this
emotion influences our routines.  Fear is a natural, creaturely response-a
sensation which originates because of our awareness that we are limited in
managing our environment.  It also identifies aggravations and perceptions
resulting from the questionable behavior of fellow humans whose actions
create dangerous situations through which we must maneuver.  How does the
bible represent the dynamics of fear?  Are there positive components of fear
that may provide to us guidance and wisdom?  Can 'selective fear' be a means
of rescuing us from concerns which depress and otherwise inhibit meaningful,
fulfilling life for us?  These questions will compose the sermon, "Scared,
Or Only Afraid?"