[amc] A note from the pastor

  • From: "Garland Robertson" <lauralarue@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:19:29 -0500

I pray the experiences of this week are enriching and encouraging for you.

This Sunday we will reflect on the concept of 'neighbor'--the character and
meaning of this designation.  What images come to your mind whenever the word
is presented?  Today as I lunched with a good friend, I saw a young bird
chirping passionately.  Many persons in the picnic area were reaching out to
help the distressed, immature birdlet.  Yet the bird would not ingest the
morsels which were offered.  There was need, but of what kind?  Maybe these
were suspicious offers, not from a parent, not recognizable offerings.  Maybe
the bird was deceiving us, seeking to distract us, tapping into our sympathies.
 Maybe we were projecting our own need in some way onto the birdlet.  These
thoughts will compose the sermon, a first-person presentation which will
attempt to get at the root of what Jesus understood 'neighbor' to mean.

--- Garland Robertson
--- lauralarue@xxxxxxxxxxxxx