[amc] A note from the pastor

  • From: "Garland Robertson" <lauralarue@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 07:57:44 -0500

Today I begin my service as your pastor.  I am thrilled to minister with you in
this way.  I wish to inform you of my proposed schedule and indicate how I
might be reached whenever occasions occur for which I can be of help or
companionship to you.

I will be in the church office or engaged in some ministerial related
appointment Monday thru Thursday, from 8:30 in the morning until 5:00 in the
afternoon.  Because I will be serving in a 3/4 time capacity, I will be out of
the office each month during the week following the second Sunday until the
Monday after the third Sunday.  Hopefully this schedule will become a natural
occurrence for us.  Also, I invite those of you who feel comfortable with the
experience to consider preparing a presentation/sermon for the congregation to
be shared on one of the third Sundays, since I will normally not be preaching
on these days.

I can be reached at the church office telephone, number 926-3121, during my
scheduled hours unless I am fulfilling a prior appointment.  If I cannot answer
the phone, please leave a message, and I will return your call as soon as I am
able.  I have a temporary home telephone number, 420-9795, as well as a mobile
telephone, number 773-9379.  Please come in for a visit or contact me any time
you believe it would be helpful for me as your pastor to know of some situation
or condition which impacts those in the circle of our concern.  For
emergencies, I desire that you contact me immediately, regardless of the day or
time.

Additionally, I will be sending a note toward the end of each week before the
Sundays when I will be preaching, giving a short account of the thoughts that
will compose the sermon content for the following Sunday.  This is Independence
Day weekend.  We reflect on the reputation and behavior of the US government in
pursuing objectives of national interest and national security.  Serious
concerns arise whenever we learn about policies and operations employed to
achieve these goals.  How do these patterns of relating appear when measured by
the standards which Jesus demonstrated for building and nurturing community?
And how do we respond as citizens of the United States in order to indicate our
disappointment and sadness that procedures are advanced by our government which
disrespect and injure other fellow humans?

I pray God will give us wisdom and compassion as we continue in our quest to
witness of how we understand the gospel of Jesus to inform and guide human
relationship, with persons closest to us as well as those living in the
furthermost reach on this planet.

Laura and I will be away tomorrow and Saturday for our daughter's baby shower.
We look forward to worshiping with you on Sunday.  For those of you who will be
unable to attend the service, we pray for your safety and trust your
experiences will be fulfilling and enriching.

--- Garland Robertson
--- lauralarue@xxxxxxxxxxxxx