[pure-silver] Re: Adding Pot Bromife to PC-TEA

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:32:03 -0500 (EST)

From: Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Adding Pot Bromife to PC-TEA
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:40:22 -0500

> I have had good luck with the PC-glycol version for a while, and it
> makes negs that print very nicely with sharp, crisp grain, but I
> find that for scanning (heresy!) I get better results with more
> solventy developers. Currently working towards adapting the
> PC-glycol stock for that use based on others' results.

A lot of statements are made about this issue, but if you look at
developed films under high quality optical microscope, you'll know
that fine grain developers make smaller grains, and the degree of
fuzziness is comparable. I bet the "soft" appearance of fine grain
negatives come from the limited resolution limit of enlarging optics.
It's not hard to think scanners behave differently here. My scanner
works best with fine grain negatives as well.

With ascorbates, even fine grain developers can have a bit better
accutance than D-76, so I think fine grain developer is most versatile
solution, which also takes advantage of properties of ascorbate,
because other agents didn't offer that range of developers. So the
result is DS-10.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."