[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: John TFS <johntfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:43:05 +0000

> Subject: [projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)
> From: crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx
> To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:39:27 +1200
>
> On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 02:35 +0000, John TFS wrote:
>

> > Well, that's probably not going to happen.  There's always room for
> > some level of ambiguity.  There is no possible way to use footnotes to
> > account for every conceivable interpretation of Joe Dever's language.
> > Since these are Project Aon books, we have the Project Aon forum.  The
> > best the footnotes can do is deal with the more common ambiguities.
> >

> But you could cover all these issues mentioned in the last few days with
> one note somewhere generic like in the Rules section. "Note: bonuses to
> RNT choices, CS and EP are assumed to stack unless otherwise stated".
>
> Actually I have just seen the Reader's Handbook. This is exactly the
> sort of place it should go if you're worried about cluttering up the
> books with footnotes. Just add a General Rules section at the front that
> talks about RNT choices and the assumption that any bonuses you gain can
> be stacked by default.
>
> Then at least you have somewhere you can refer people to if they
> question The Rules.
>
> OMG. I even think the handbook is a wiki so I could go and do that ...

That sounds reasonable and I'd be fine with something like that.

> > Because it strikes me as absurd that Dever would create a bonus that
> > caters exclusively to those players who refuse to master the Bow at
> > Mentora level and beyond.
> >

> And I find its absurd that Nexus at Archmaster only aids you against one
> type of creature (Ictakko) and one you dont even have to fight. Does
> that mean I should make up my own version of the rules?

Two points.  First, look at what Nexus at Archmaster gives you:

Archmasters with the skill of Nexus are able to withstand extremes of
heat and cold, and possess limited immunity to harmful elements, such as
 flames, toxic gases, and corrosive liquids. The duration of this
immunity increases greatly upon attaining Kai Grand Mastership.

Even though it only directly helps you in one instance, that's still a pretty
good ability to have.  Contrast that with your apparent take on the Mentora
Weaponmastery in which the only way it can help you is if you don't choose to
be the master of the Bow.  I recall that you suggested that this may represent
a kind of "Beginner's teaching bonus" that would be superseded by mastery of
the Bow.  However, that seems unlikely to me.  LW at this point is a Kai Master
Mentora.  He's not some untrained boy who's never touched a Bow before.
Consider that the Discipline in question is Weapon Mastery.  Mastery, not
proficiency.  LW is fully proficient in the use of the various Weapons,
including the Bow.  He is by no means a beginner.

Secondly, sure you should make up your own rules - if they enhance your gaming
experience.  Hell, I make up my own rules all the time.  I've played the books
using cards to generate RNT picks.  My current method of playing the GM is too
add +10 to CS, subtract 1 from my EP and ignore all "hidden loyalty" bonuses
from previous Disciplines.  So, the only advantage I get over the newbie LW is
the Special Items I bring into the game.  And even those I limit such that my
neither my CS nor my EP can exceed 40 (prior to applying GM Disciplines) at the
start of the books. It's fun, greatly simplifies play and brings LW into
overall compliance with the New Order books.