[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:03:43 +1200

I think theres also the possibility that the Mentora +2 was intended as
a bonus if you werent trained in using a bow (and hence you you wouldnt
have the +3) - ie it doesnt stack. The skill says "Mentoras skilled in
Weaponmastery are more accurate", that doesn't specifically say that it
stacks with the +3. Then again, it also doesnt say that it isn't a
cumulative bonus. It is possible (just barely) to be Mentora without any
weapon mastery in bow.

When I *first* read the Improved Discipline I assumed it was cumulative
as I already had training in bow at the time. However, there isnt
anything there that specifically says it should be used in addition to
the other +3 bonus (if it applies).

The more I think about it the more sense it seems to make. an extra +2
which stacks with +3 WM-with-bow seems like a huge bonus, in fact I
would struggle to come up with a bonus that would offer an equally
beneficial improvement (other combat disciplines at best only gain +2 CS
- hardly an equal comparison). Whereas a minimum of +2 (without
WM-with-bow) is still a good bonus and keeps it more in line with the
improvement bonuses of other Disciplines.

so:
4. The "We all misinterpreted the rules" argument
    * Grand Weaponmastery with Bow +3 is correct.
    * Ad hoc +4 and +5 bonuses replace this.
    * The Mentora +2 only applies if you are throwing a dagger etc (as
by the Grandmaster series you should have WS-with-bow and hence get the
+3 or greater bonus).