[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 16:40:42 +0100

On 07/06/2011 17:57, Timothy Pederick wrote:
On 8 June 2011 00:15, David Davis <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    The reason I thought it was confusing is because, if you start from
    the beginning of the Game Rules
    in Captives of Kaag, and fill out your action chart, you don’t get
    told about the bonuses when you’re
    writing out your initial CS & EP – it’s mentioned in the bit at the
    end of the disciplines, which is telling
    about what bonuses you can look forward to in the *next* book if you
    complete this one.

But then you would have exactly the same problem in every book, as they
all mention the bonus in the same place. If you read about the increase
in Plague-Lords of Ruel and then forgot to apply it in Captives of Kaag,
there's no reason to think you'd remember it between Captives of Kaag
and Darke Crusade. ;-)

That being the case, I've gone ahead and added this footnote (and tweaked the wording accordingly) to Books 14-20 and 22-28 in xml only.

Re: Grand Weaponmastery with Bow:

Of course none of that really has any bearing on what I'm about to
> suggest, which is that it's possible Dever intended the +3 to be an
> incremental improvement over the Mentora's +2, and forgot that
> pre-Mentora Weaponmastery already gave a +3. I suggest this because when
> I reread the Mentora improvements just now, I couldn't see at first what
> the problem was -- "it says you can add +2, which is less than +3!" What
> it doesn't say is that you add that to your existing bonus; you're
> supposed to remember that you have that bonus, I guess. So maybe, just
> maybe, Dever reread his own text and was mislead in the same way,
> thinking that he'd only ever mandated a +2 for Magnakai archers.

Whether or not you think this is likely, it does suggest a solution
> that doesn't require massive editing of the GM series. We can simply
> treat Grand Weaponmastery as an incremental improvement to the Mentora
> bonus, and leave the standard Weaponmastery +3 to join Curing and
> Psi-Surge as a "hidden loyalty bonus". (Or make Grand Weaponmastery's +3
> an import of the Weaponmastery +3 and have the Mentora +2 be the hidden
> bonus.) All this costs us is a single footnote (...per book).

According to the Readers' Handbook:

<http://www.projectaon.org/en/ReadersHandbook/GrandMasterDisciplines#GrandWeaponmastery>

"Lone Wolf Club Newsletter #28 tells us that "the +4 CS Weaponmastery bonus is not added to Grand Weaponmastery--it simply rises by 1 to +5. When using a Bow, you are typically asked to choose a number from the Random Number Table to determine the success of your shot. If you choose Grand Weaponmastery with the Bow, you may add 3 to the number chosen. Alternately, if you completed the Magnakai series, you should add 5 to the chosen number instead, in line with the Magnakai Discipline of Weaponmastery at the rank of Mentora."

Should we therefore word the footnote something like: " If you completed the Magnakai series, remember that 'when using a Bow or thrown Weapon and instructed to pick a number from the Random Number Table, add 2 to the number picked if you are a Mentora with the Magnakai Discipline of Weaponmastery' (cf. Improved Disciplines for Book 12 <link>)." --and add it to the Bow and Arrows section of Equipment?

The other two outstanding issues for Week 6 (since the number of posts has increased dramatically this week!)

(er) BOOKS 6, 7, 8, 9, 10: Book 6 [Levels of Magnakai Training], Book 7 [35], Book 8 [73, 288], Book 9 [61, 187, 213, 291, 303, 342], Book 10 [4 [x2], 19, 106, 240]: Magnakai rank -> Kai rank [tp: I personally don't have a problem with leaving "Kai rank" and "Magnakai rank" alone.]

-> [so: Standardising to one of these does reduce potential confusion for newer readers, though it's not exactly essential.]

(er) BOOK 17 Game Rules Footnote: [tp: The footnotes as they now stand (meaning this one and the one in 14tcok) are great. If I can propose just one more point for consideration, though...The whole "you might have left Helshezag and DoV in Safekeeping" business assumes that you can just ignore the current list, so long as you "imported" them to the GM series in a previous book. This conflicts with the implied assumption in 14tcok that even if you already imported the Bracers and Scabbard, you must obey the current list and leave them in Safekeeping for now.]

-> [so: I think the phrase "The story won't unravel if you placed either or both of these items in safekeeping prior to embarking upon The Legacy of Vashna, but be aware that both this adventure and the ones that follow assume that these Special Items have been destroyed" is clear enough that the items are assumed to have been destroyed and therefore are no longer a part of the game. That said, I'm open to alternative wording. :-) ]