[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:13:46 +1200

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 15:19 +0800, Timothy Pederick wrote:
> You know, something just occurred to me. The +3 from WM only applies
> if you choose the Bow as one of your WM weapons. The same goes for
> GWM, but not for the Mentora bonus! That bonus simply applies to any
> random number pick with a missile weapon, regardless of what WM
> weapons you've chosen.

That could also mean that the Mentora bonus was meant to only apply if
you dont have WM in the bow (ie you get either +2 or +3, but not both).
I assumed it added to the WM bonus.

Either way, the Improved Disciplines section specifically says "As you
rise through the higher levels of Magnakai training you will ... now
benefit from improvements to the following *Magnakai Disciplines*" which
means this bonus specifically applies to Magnakai Weaponmastery. Bonuses
to WM do NOT automatically apply to GWM - there is nothing in the rules
to say they do.

When you are fighting you can either use Magnakai Weaponmastery OR Grand
Weaponmastery (cf mindshield and psi-screen and kai-screen) you dont use
both simultaneously. Its like fighting using Kung Fu Panda style and
Praying Mantis style simultaneously, or (if youre a Fist of the North
Star fan - Hokuto Shinken and Nanto Seiken).

> I think that this gives a lot of weight to the idea that the Mentora
> bonus is a "hidden loyalty bonus" that can apply equally to GWM.

Surely your Action Chart looks something like:

Kai Disciplines:
Weaponskill in _______ +2 COMBAT SKILL points if this weapon carried
Mindshield: no points lost when attacked by Mindblast
Mindblast: +2 COMBAT SKILL points

Magnakai Disciplines:
Weaponmastery: +4 COMBAT SKILL points, -1 COMBAT SKILL (unarmed), +2
bow/dagger throws
Psi-screen: no points lost when attacked by Mindforce
Psi-surge: +6 COMBAT SKILL points but -1 ENDURANCE points per round

Grand Master Disciplines:
Grand Weaponmastery: +5 COMBAT SKILL, +3 bow throws
Kai-surge: +8 COMBAT SKILL but -1 ENDURANCE points per round or +4
COMBAT SKILL
Kai-screen:

How exactly can you apply the Mentora bonus to GWM? It obviously applies
to WM. GWM is a completely different discipline.

> It also blasts a big hole in the (already shaky) theory that GWM's +3
> is an improvement to Mentora's +2.

Again, if you Action Chart looked like the above, there is no way this
theory would hold true.