[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:58:19 +0100

On 21/06/2011 22:13, Chris Neilson wrote:
When you are fighting you can either use Magnakai Weaponmastery OR Grand
Weaponmastery (cf mindshield and psi-screen and kai-screen) you dont use
both simultaneously. Its like fighting using Kung Fu Panda style and
Praying Mantis style simultaneously, or (if youre a Fist of the North
Star fan - Hokuto Shinken and Nanto Seiken).

Or, conversely, it would be like using knowledge from GCSE and A Level courses simultaneously. Which makes perfect sense!

I think that this gives a lot of weight to the idea that the Mentora
bonus is a "hidden loyalty bonus" that can apply equally to GWM.

Surely your Action Chart looks something like:

Kai Disciplines:
Weaponskill in _______ +2 COMBAT SKILL points if this weapon carried
Mindshield: no points lost when attacked by Mindblast
Mindblast: +2 COMBAT SKILL points

Magnakai Disciplines:
Weaponmastery: +4 COMBAT SKILL points, -1 COMBAT SKILL (unarmed), +2
bow/dagger throws
Psi-screen: no points lost when attacked by Mindforce
Psi-surge: +6 COMBAT SKILL points but -1 ENDURANCE points per round

Grand Master Disciplines:
Grand Weaponmastery: +5 COMBAT SKILL, +3 bow throws
Kai-surge: +8 COMBAT SKILL but -1 ENDURANCE points per round or +4
COMBAT SKILL
Kai-screen:

How exactly can you apply the Mentora bonus to GWM? It obviously applies
to WM. GWM is a completely different discipline.

...except that you are already getting a +3 to using a Bow with Weaponmastery right from the start of the Magnakai books: <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/06tkot/title.htm#sect170> (See also Sections 178, 243, 268, and 340.)

Then the Mentora bonus kicks in to make it...+5. Which then DROPS to +3 at Grand Weaponmastery level? So you actually get worse on attainment of a more advanced Discipline.

I *can* see where you're coming from on this, Chris; I had to double-check that the +3 Weaponmastery with Bow bonus did exist in the Magnakai books before responding, just to be sure. But the fact that you do get the +3 bonus for missile weapons with Weaponmastery right from The Kingdoms of Terror indicates to me that the later +2 Mentora bonus is /a permanent addition to/ [the section bonus + the RN-pick] rather than a standard Weaponmastery value that gets raised by 1 with attainment of Grand Weaponmastery.